Kitchen Sub-Floor & Layout

In keeping with our eco design model, and just for the sheer fun of it, we’ve decided that the kitchen floor will be made up from all the leftover pieces of Marmoleum we’ve saved so far.

The first part was the installation of a high quality sub-floor (similar to the bathrooms), consisting of maple plywood and a lot of staples.

Then we mocked up some layouts on the computer (complete with correct colors and textures), and settled on the one below.

Then using a panel saw we cut the pieces as square as possible and ended up with this!

We’re hoping to have it installed in the next couple of weeks.


The floor was finally installed this past week by a local company. We felt a professional would handle the complexity a little better, rather than installing it ourselves – plus they’ve got all the tools! He did a really nice job.


Closet Doors

Installing your own bi-fold doors can be a major pain and I don’t recommend it, especially if they’re hollow core and you decide to use a nice “hidden” track system. This choice meant swapping the standard hinges for a euro type, which is quite difficult to do in a slab door with very little inside to screw and attach to. Some fiddly block gluing saved us.

It all worked out in the end though, and now we have master and guest bedroom closet doors that look beautiful and work perfectly.

Interior Bathroom Windows

Purchased months ago from a local salvage yard, we finally got to install the two British stained glass windows.
After removing their temp frames we cleaned them up as best we could, and fitted them between two new sheets of glass, essentially sandwiching them in place. They sit on small wooden risers (colored black with a larger permanent marker!), which get the original windows to the height we need, as well as acting as a continuation of the leading design.

Office Flooring

We designed the office floor around two leftover pieces of oriented strand board (osb) from the construction. Sanded up and sealed with clear poly-whey floor finish the material looks amazing. More leftover material from a neighboring job site allowed us to add burnt poplar in between the osb giving us some extra width and more importantly a very unique look.

Each poplar piece is biscuited to the osb section, which is then screwed directly to the sub-floor with some nice looking 2.5″ screws. All materials were prepared at the workshop, making it much easier to cut, sand, drill, countersink and finish.