Just a little update since we last posted our progress on the deck – the railing is on and it’s almost done!
Ignore that lack of landscaping please… that’s the next project.
We welded the tubular metal railing (same material as the base) at the shop in sections, and assembled it in place at the house.
The galvanized center panels are “hog fencing” from the local farmer’s supply shop. Very inexpensive, but still looks modern.
The frame for the stairs have been welded up, now all we need to do is add the wooden treads and the gate.
The rest of the house is looking good this summer… it’s nice to see the landscaping finally mature. We can only hope the backyard comes out so well!
A new addition to our kitchen this winter is the long-awaited doors for the upper cabinets. These help us protect and camouflage our dishes, keeping them from getting dusty and giving the kitchen a clean look.
The outer frames were made of Valchromat material, also used on the drawer fronts and other areas of the house.
Grass Euro hinges at the top give the cook enough space to work with them up or down.
The inner material is our favorite Ecoresin, part of the same piece we built for the living room media center.
The finished project:
Even when it’s the middle of summer in Vermont, it’s important to think ahead about the snow we’ll eventually have to deal with. Shoveling a gravel path is a royal pain (as is picking your gravel out of the lawn in the spring), so this summer we decided to put in a whimsical set of stone steps to lead easily to the front entrance.
We began by framing the steps with 6″ x 6″ hemlock lumber, the same kind as used in the parking area.
The steps are filled with sand, and then larger gravel, and finally slate and concrete pavers.
Even the hardest-working eco-builders need a break for tea.
We used the remaining pavers and gravel to add a shovel-able path to either side of the front entrance, which frames the house nicely and helps with water drainage.
While excavating for the front steps, we also laid down wiring for our outdoor lights. Purchased from an architectural salvage store, and originally from India, these fixtures required nothing more than wiring in to a motion sensor to make them functional.
We poured concrete pillars for each light, then added a copper cap on top. Metal edging and river stone create a clean border at the base.
The finished lights do a great job of making the house feel welcoming at night.
Our major project this summer was the long awaited deck, inspired by a house built by our architect in California in 1981:
We loved the idea of the metal structure and wanted to use that here – to have a strong base that adds an original design element, while using a minimal amount of concrete.
Concrete pillars were poured last year, and lay dormant over the winter.
This summer, with the design planned out, we purchased 2″ tubular steel for the frame. We cut the pieces and had a friend weld them together to form the supports for the deck.
The completed frame was built in sections carefully measured to fit in the truck for transport to our house.
Back at the house, we unloaded the (very heavy) frame, bolted it to the pillars and welded on the outer sections.
The next step was cleaning up the metal and grinding off the rust, in preparation for priming and painting.
We chose to apply the protective oil-based orange paint by hand, rather than sprayer, to minimize wasted paint.
The deck trusses and surface are made of untreated hemlock, which should be very weather- and insect- resistant.
With the deck surface completed, we can now walk right out the sliding doors from the living room and enjoy the outdoors. Next year we plan to add a modern railing of the same tubular steel as the base, plus geometric wire mesh for safety, and built-in seating for a comfy place to relax.
Since last fall we’ve done a wide range of projects around the house, and we’ve got a lot planned for this year. Here’s a quick round-up of some of the things we’ve been working on:
Fall Landscaping – we planted cedars, “Prairie Fire” crabapple trees and lots of grass. Hopefully the grass will help with the spring runoff issues, and the Cedar Waxwings seem to love the crabapple fruit. It’s important to keep the native birds happy!
Front Steps – multicolored slate for entryway (with four concrete tiles we are testing for use on the path)
Once there was too much snow to work outside, we headed indoors and did some updates to the office. Since we’re both there all day, we want it to be nice!
Blue Valchromat drawer fronts, with one black piece just for kicks
(Fun fact – the small drawer is exactly the right width for a box of tissues. It just worked out that way.)
We finished off the back wall of the office with cypress paneling and a display shelf for our toys:
Pantry doors in the kitchen – the off-center split lines up with the red strip of Marmoleum. We’re planning to add spice racks on the inside.
Entryway stools, using the same fabric as our sofa (post coming soon), and black Valchromat bases. The bases are hollow for extra storage.
By now the snow is pretty much gone here, so it’ll be time for more outside projects. Good thing, too, because it makes it hard to walk the dog!
Installed this weekend. Therma-Tru Smooth-Star fiberglass with multi-point lock. Color to be determined. Love it!
Vermont is amazingly beautiful this time of year…
[pictobrowser 46448896@N00 72157602579020765]